Saturday 15 March 2008

What a bad day - BEWARE it is a long list of me just complaining!!!

Yesterday, 14th March

I had a pretty RUBBISH day. I spent a lot of money going to London on a journey that was meant to be very informative and useful. At the Science Museum, in London, there was a TDA - Turn Your Talent To Teaching event. I was hoping to attend to get a lot of useful information about teaching as I want to become a teacher myself. When I got there, there were a few different stands representing different Universities, but none of them were where I wanted to go to. So that was pretty pointless, but there were seminars about teaching so I booked myself into one about how to make a successful GTTR application. Unfortunately, all the people in the room appeared to be morons and asked stupid questions, generally the same one, which was they didn't understand how to explain what they had done on their degree - as a section on the GTTR form asks you to explain what things your degree covered. At least 3 people asked how to do this section even though it had already been explained several times and was frankly obvious! These people shouldn't even be teachers. Worryingly though, I am sure some of them will get on courses. The seminar itself was catered towards morons, explaining the very basics of the GTTR form such as relate your personal statement to wanting to be a teacher and that to select answers, click on the drop down menus etc.


The 2 speakers holding the seminar handed round sheets with 3 different genuine personal statements on it. The first statement was from a person wanting to teach english, the second one history and the third was art. We were all asked to read the statements and then put up your hand for which statement was well written and should get an interview. Statement 1 was for an english teacher, but there were loads of spelling mistakes and poorly constructed sentences. It also had a childish writing style. The 2nd statement was ok but not brilliantly phrased. The 3rd statement said nothing about wanting to be a teacher. I said the people at the seminar were morons...they proved it again by quite a few of them putting up their hand for the first statement being the best one - an english teacher that can't spell! So I definitely think these morons should not be teachers. The rest picked the second statement including myself. The 2 speakers asked everyone to put up their hand if they could say why the other two statements were not as good as this one. The morons managed to notice that the language wasn't very articulate in the first statement, but they failed to notice the glaring spelling mistakes so I was brave and put my hand up to say there were spelling mistakes. Honestly, some people shouldn't teach. Anyway, basically the whole trip to London was a waste of time and money except for a pair of pretty pink leg warmers I bought from Primark for £1. Anyway, I've really spent too long talking about my wasted trip to London!


To make things's worse that evening though, when I drove home and parked the car, I discovered my front window wouldn't shut! It had falllen of its runner and was totally out of place and no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the window to go back up. So, not wanting to leave my window open all night, I called my car rescue service. After about an hour, they came out. The guy looked at it and said unfortunately there was nothing he could do. It was firmly out of place and needed a mechanic. By this time it was late at night and I was tired, so I thanked the rescue service man anyway and stuck a bin liner over the window (that was his advice to protect the car from the weather) and I left my car vunerable all night. Luckily, it was still there in the morning but also, apparently Corsa's are very difficult to steal.



Today, 15th March

This morning was horribly stressful. My good friend was coming to visit at about 11.30am which I was really excited about but I had to find a garage to fix my car at first. I rang around several and finally found one nearby. The only problem was that they could only fit me in at 11.30am which was when I was meant to be meeting my friend. So I let my friend know about the garage and as always, he was very kind and didn't mind waiting. The rescue service man from last night had told me that the job to fix the window should definitely not take a mechanic more than half an hour to fix and should not cost more than £50. So when I went to the garage today, I was very annoyed to see that the mechanic was a grumpy man that obviously thought that because I was a girl he could pull the wool over my eyes and before he had even looked at the car he told me I needed a very expensive part putting in, so I knew he was lying!!! I needed the car fixed though so I let him look at the car. The time ticked slowly by and I was getting later and later to pick my friend up from the station, which I felt really guilty about since he had made the effort to travel to visit. It took the mechanic's team of people an hour and a half to tell me that it still needed an expensive part, a regulator, because it was totally mashed up - apparently. So I said I didn't want to pay for the part and that I just wanted the window winding up to the top so that I can just permanently leave it closed rather than pay for the part. He was a really weird mechanic, very rude and grumpy with no manners and I could strangely also imagine him doing Elvis impersonations in his free time, he was middle-aged with a big quiff! I think he took longer to do the job because I said I didn't want to pay for the part. I also started getting irritated because I knew he was deliberately taking ages to bump up the labour costs, I could even see the team of mechanics just sitting around doing nothing through the back door!!!


In the end he charged me £20 for just doing nothing but it was still less than I imagined he would have charged so I just accepted it. My boyfriend had to pay though as my card has been cancelled or something as it's near it's expiry date, so a new one has been sent out but it hasn't arrived yet so I have no access to money :-( Another rubbish thing to add to the list. On the bright side, when I eventually picked up my friend I had a really good day and it was so nice to see a familiar face and have a good catch up.



0 pumpkin seeds:

Counter for unique visitors to my blog