Tuesday 14 April 2009

Naming competition

Well, I thought I would write my first proper blog post as it has been a long time and because I have something that I want to write about. Of course as usual it is animal related, I bought FOUR Roborovski hamsters today!!! Animals are always cheerful and entertaining to have around and these little guys were just too cute and hilarious to resist. I would never buy just one hamster because it would be lonely but with most hamsters they do have to sadly live on their own becasue they would kill each other. However, these tiny critters prefer to live in groups and we thought we would buy the whole group of brothers rather than leave one or two behind. They are all clearly very attached to each other. They are 8 weeks old apparently and they are the smallest of the dwarf hamster variety. The pictures don't show how tiny and sweet these things are! So far they have settled into their new home straight away and they are extremely curious and friendly. They also run around like lunatics and climb across the ceiling of their cage. I have also seen them sleeping and they sleep in a big pile one on top of the other. Awwww, bless. I will put better pictures up soon. Horace and Hermes our two gerbils will not be left out either, we love them just as much and we bought them a new toy today. They received a log cabin, which they seem to think is for eating rather than climbing inside but oh well!



Anyway we haven't named the four tiny hamsters yet so if you have any suggestions we would like to know.










7 pumpkin seeds:

Veggie Carrie said...

OMG I can't believe it!

Just be careful if you decide to keep them living together...
http://rosiebish.blogspot.com/2008/08/rip-felix.html

Lindsey said...

It should be ok, these are social hamsters that prefer to live in groups. Although you never know I suppose. They are all cuddled up together in the box sleeping at the mo.

Guillaume said...

Since they are Robovoski hamsters, give them Russian names I'd say. I actually don't dislike hamsters as much as other rodents, because I had one as a child. i thought he was the cutest thing. But hey, if they really are ferocious creatures...what about Ivan the Terrible, Stalin, Rasputin...? Just kidding...

Lindsey said...

If they hurt each other I might give them ferocious names! I hope we don't have to separate them. Maybe you can visit in the summer and hold one, they are too cute to be scary :-)

Frankofile said...

If you're sure they're all boys - John, Paul, George, Ringo (shows my era).

If you're not, 1,2,3,4 so you can keep track of numbers as they grow.

Or keep the H theme: Horatio, Harold, Homer, Humphrey....

Veggie Carrie said...

Weirdly before I saw Frankofile's comment, I was thinking of the Beatles too, but surnames e.g. Lennon, McCartney, Harrison and Starr.

Also the four elements (air, fire, wind and earth). G suggests that another four could be the three musketeers Athos, Porthos, Aramis and the fourth d'Artagnan.

Lindsey said...

Thanks for the name suggestions, we still haven't decided. My first thoughts were to name them after the musketeers funnily enough. I like the name Ringo and Lennon, but that would only be part of the Beatles. I like Horatio and Humphrey etc on the H theme, hehe :-) I thought about Bungle, George,Zippy and Geoffrey. I like all the names can't pick! VC - I can't call one Wind,lol.

Counter for unique visitors to my blog