Monday 26 May 2008

Belated birthday present for Vraie Fiction






I decided to make Vraie Fiction a garden gnome for his birthday as he is quite a fan of little ornaments. On a recent group holiday to France he seemed quite taken with small model witches (they were rather scary looking and ugly!), fairies and gnomes. A fair few shops in France sold tourist trinkets and ornaments of such creatures and I have to admit I was intrigued by them myself, they had a certain charm, and I nearly bought a fairy figurine. However, they all had two flaws in my opinion. Flaw number 1: they were ugly! Flaw number 2: They were poorly crafted in the same tourist shop style. Well...I thought to myself, I could do a better job than that. I could build a prettier fairy or a craftily constructed gnome or a mesmerising witch. Ok, so I may not have all the materials and tools to make an art piece to perfection and my artistic talent may not be fully developed, but I still had the confidence that I could do better than the tourist shops. After all, if you had seen the fairytale efforts in the shops you may have agreed. So, from the materials I had around the house and with the help of a plant pot from a local garden centre, I constructed the happy-looking garden gnome below.






6 pumpkin seeds:

Frankofile said...

Cute! Definitely not the same market as the ugly poorly-crafted kerrigans.

Dottie said...

He looks like one of my neighbours! In Scotland such beings are called kelpies. Don't know if that is anything to do with seaweed.

Thanks for visiting my blog Mysterious World, and leaving such a nice comment (grins)

Guillaume said...

I absolutely love that gnome, thank you Lindsey, it's a wonderful present.

Lindsey said...

You're welcome Vraie Fiction, you can take him home next time I see you, promise!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully the 'pot' used is not the same one the gerbils were playing in.....lol

Lindsey said...

Anonymous - hehe no I bought 2 pots so the gerbils have their very own plant pot. The gnome pot would have been extra special if my cute little gerbils had played in it though :-)

Counter for unique visitors to my blog