Monday 11 January 2010

Happy eggs


I thought I would do a small blog to help promote free range eggs, not that anyone other than family or friends usually reads this and I think everyone I know has free range. I don't use my blog to blog anymore, I usually just update it with photos to keep in touch with people. It may seem strange but I was very happy to see the new brand of free range eggs, happy eggs. I know that if I buy a box, I help support the company even if only in a small way and I know that their chickens are well cared for from the leaflet that comes inside each box, the website and I guess the clue is in the name! I'm happy to buy any free range eggs (true free range not fake free range where the hens are actually just stuffed into small barns with no room to move and no outdoor life) but it's just I like the happy egg company, the hens are given toys and proper care and attention. The farmers want the chickens to have good lives. I scowl or make comments when I see someone picking up eggs from caged chickens because it's so cruel. I hate the thought of all those poor chickens trapped in a cage, unable to move and breathe fresh air. I am glad that supermarkets are starting to have more free range eggs in stock than battery but I wish battery was banned. There is no excuse for buying eggs from caged hens, the small price difference shouldn't matter.

5 pumpkin seeds:

Anonymous said...

Happy eggs sound great...unfortunately at this side of the world free range eggs are not really available :0( Leaving a comment to prove that your blog is read by people other than family and friends!! (not that I am not friendly of course!!)

Frankofile said...

Mm happy cheese sufflepuff! !

Lindsey said...

Eternally Distracted - it's a shame they don't really have free range where you are, but it's great to see another person that likes free range. Thanks very much for visiting my blog and commenting, which lead me to your blog and it's amazing! Congrats on your success :-)

Frankofile - Ah the suffle puff, I am making a cheese and mushroom one today!

Veggie Carrie said...

We have some Happy Eggs in our fridge too!

We are lucky that in England we have easy and cheap acess to free range eggs, in Montreal you can buy free range eggs but they are very expensive.

If I could avoid eating eggs though I would as the male chicks are still gassed, but I don't think I can :-( I wish you could buy happy cheese too, we could about 6 months ago but haven't seen it for a while.

Lindsey said...

If I was in Montreal I would still only buy free range but not very often. Or I wouldn't eat eggs at all. I feel guilty that some foods I have might have cage eggs in and can't always know if they are free range, like pasta. Would be too difficult to be vegan I think. I want battery farming banned! It was going to be banned but then evil Labour party changed their minds or were never going to do it.
That's cool you get happy eggs too, I only buy these now so I hope they don't go out of business. Happy other dairy products would be great.

Counter for unique visitors to my blog