Sunday 6 April 2008

My blog has been neglected :-( Even this blog entry is not well written because it is rushed!!






Due to me moving homes recently, I have not had the internet for some time and so I'm afraid my blog has become neglected and is not up to date. Now I have so much to catch up on with my blog that I think I will just squash all the events since I lost the internet into one blog entry! Unfortunately, my blog will soon be abandoned again temporarily soon after this entry, because I am only able to write on my blog now because I am borrowing my parents internet as I am in France visiting them. Once I return to England on thursday, I will not have the internet again until I figure out how to get it set up. I have some brilliant pictures for this entry but I will add them in once I get back to England because I don't have my cable here for uploading the pictures.

So, as I said, I have been moving homes and everything is a bit chaotic. I've been slowly unpacking my stuff in the new house but it's difficult because the place came unfurnished and I have very few places to put things. The move happened just before I went on holiday with my other half to Brittany to see my parents and for that week I was sleeping on an airbed and with no sofa I was sitting on a director's chair which is OK but not for long periods of time. From sitting on the canvas chair and sleeping on an airbed I was in so much pain from being uncomfortable that I had to go to hospital the night before travelling to France! Everything was OK though, nothing too serious so I was ready to catch the Eurostar the next day. I have never been on the Eurostar before and I found it very fast and smooth. It also tilts quite a bit and goes up and down small hills which feels a bit weird. I had always thought that on the Eurostar you spend most of the time in a pitch black tunnel but it was quite varied between being in a tunnel and being outside.

My sister and her husband were already in France visiting my parents as we had arranged to go at a similar time to eachother. They stayed in France for a week and myself and Adrian for 2 weeks...so we are still in France at the mo, hurray! My parents took us all on several days out:


The forest of Broceliande
This is where the French claim to have links to the legend of Merlin and King Arthur and everything else associated with this - the knights of the round table, Morgan Le Fay, Vivien, Lady of the Lake etc. I was very intrigued to go on this particular trip because I have always been fascinated by legends and the legend of Merlin with all the magic that this entails is great for the imagination. The place itself was stunning. There were gorgeous variations in the trees, meandering rivers, lakes, hills and a beautiful waterfall. There is a trail you can follow around the forest to see different locations connected to the legend. We visited a striking golden tree, a lake said to be the mirror of the fairies, Merlin's tomb and the Fountain of Youth. Photos to follow when I get the internet back in England!


La Gacilly
A small village that we went to with only about 5 shops, most of which were closed even though it was a weekday. I still don't understand the opening times of French shops because no matter when I go to them, a lot of them will be closed so I don't know how they make a living but then maybe they don't need much out here. The pace of life seems a lot slower than England and it does not seem over-populated. Nearly everywhere is beautiful through either forest-filled countryside or cobbled, rustic villages.


Guer


A slightly larger village but somehow it still had hardly any shops open. Still, it was very pretty and I enjoyed exploring it with Mum because she is always good company and was very excited by a library at the top of the hill! We all got something tasty to eat from the bakery in the centre of the village.

Rochefort en Terre


I visited here today (6th April). My sister and her husband left for England on the 2nd April so it was just me, Adrian, Mum and Dad. Adrian and I have visited Rochefort once before at Christmas and it's still just as lovely. It's a small village on a steep hill with a castle at the top. There were several shops with fairy figurines in but they were all a bit ugly; if they were a bit nicer I would have bought one. There was also a leather shop, a biscuit shop and a shop with traditional Breton products. We stopped to have a chocolate crepe and a coffee and cider in a little restaurant.



..........................................................................................................................











1 pumpkin seeds:

Frankofile said...

It's good to see that the holiday diary is not dead! We must have some earlier examples tucked away... Looking forward to your photos.

Counter for unique visitors to my blog