Saturday 23 February 2008

Other historical interests




I mentioned previously that I find the Egyptians extraordinary. There are other time periods and perhaps in particular, architecture and fashion styles that captivate my imagination and I feel that they are also worth presenting very briefly. Firstly, I admire the oriental styles of Japan and China. I find it difficult to describe exactly what it is I like about the style but I suppose in short, it is the fashion they have had over the ages. Take for example, the intricate and delicate floral patterns and scenic illustrations incorporated into the clothes and the elegant eye make-up. It is not solely the fashion that I respect, as even through their landscape and architectural design such as in water gardens and pagodas comes a unique and stunning style. Moving on, in no logical order, but in a random stream of thoughts.....Indian fashion. There is just something beautiful about saris and to be honest, some of the time I find myself desperately wanting to wear such colourful, decorative garments. There is nothing really to stop me doing so and although I should not be affected by what people might say, I do not know if I would be met with disapproval or strange looks. Saris are not really adopted into Western fashion which to me is a shame. I also like women's fashion in Britain down the centuries. Some of the layered dresses and feminine tailoring were wonderful and again, perhaps it is odd but I really would like to try wearing one or two of those dresses. The fashion styles are partly why I like period costume dramas like Pride & Prejudice so much and why I like old houses that are now often owned by The National Trust. Whenever I visit a listed building I always try and imagine what life would have been like in those days and what people would have been wearing. Sometimes I even imagine, just for a second, that it is my own grand mansion that I am walking through. I wish! Sweeping right back through time again we come to a medieval world and my interest for castles, knights, variations in timber beamed buildings (perhaps the reason I like Stratford-Upon-Avon so much) and even Robin Hood. Here I would like to say A Knights Tale is one of my favourite medieval films and rest in peace Heath. Then there are also the perfectly crafted calligraphy and illustrations often made by the dedicated monks of the time. As I have started to write down the similar things I appreciate in our world, I find an even longer list begin to form in my mind and when I think about it, my blog could in theory be taken over by them alone! So for now, I had better stop before I get carried away.

1 pumpkin seeds:

Frankofile said...

I'd love to see you dressed in these different styles. Write to National Trust (they may have events you could volunteer for), speak to your Asian friends, design an Egyptian outfit, get some photos taken?

Counter for unique visitors to my blog