Wednesday 27 February 2008

An EARTHQUAKE I will never forget


Well, there I was only 2 hours ago, editing my blog as it happens when I get startled out of my wits by the house shaking violently. The walls were moving, the floor was trembling under my feet, the windows were rattling and everything on my desk that wasn't pinned down wobbled. The noise was as if a truck was driving right past the house in the middle of the night. It all only lasted for about 5-10 seconds but it was weird because I didn't know what caused it and there was no wind outside which at first I thought might have been the culprit. I was so confused and so was my boyfriend who was also with me at the time. We thought perhaps something was either wrong with the house (perhaps a bit of a panic thought but I thought the house was collapsing!) or there had been an incident nearby like a small gas explosion or something that we may have been feeling tremors from. We went round checking the house for damage or any clues and after establishing everything seemed fine we went outside. No one else was in the street but some lights were on and there were some distant car alarms. I decided to go back inside and put the news on and to my relief, Sky News confirmed that it wasn't just us that had felt the tremors and that the tremor measured 4.7 on the richter scale and had been felt across England. As soon as I saw that, I was excited by the fact that I had been awake at the time to experience the dramatic tremor. Now that I am calm I feel like I will remember the tremor forever because at the time, it was quite impressive!
p.s I'm adding this sentence in a day later, because reports now agree that the tremor measured 5.2 on the richter scale! Still nothing compared to countries that suffer damaging earthquakes though and I do feel sorry for them. To England it's exciting to have a tremor as it was not dangerous.

1 pumpkin seeds:

Guillaume said...

At least something exciting happened.

Counter for unique visitors to my blog